Blog from the founder of the charity Little Troopers. Military wife and mum sharing thoughts and feelings of being a British Armed Forces family.

Little Troopers is a registered charity supporting all children with parents serving in the British Armed Forces, regular or reserve. We provide fundamental resources, initiatives and events to ease and aid repeated separation periods aiming to keep parent and child connected and bonded even when miles apart

11 Mar 2015

The emotional fuel tank

In late February I had a great day filming a short piece about the charity and how it came about, Julie Hesmondhalgh came to the base where I live and learnt a little about what being a military family meant and how it affects Little Troopers.

On Tuesday 10th March I went onto ITV This Morning, the film was played out, then I went on the sofa with Philip Schofield and Amanda Holden to chat about my experiences.

At the This Morning studio
Personally I have had periods over the last 15 years where I haven't coped great with being married to a soldier and I spoke on the programme about my 'emotional fuel tank' which I really believe in, we as humans have limits and sometimes I feel I have reached mine.
The last tour of Afghanistan my husband went on was 7 and a bit months directly followed by 18 months married unaccompanied definitely emptied my tank! I felt drained, 18 months on from that period I have refuelled to a certain extent. I feel emotionally ready to face to word again and for us as a family to return to the regiment this summer.

A lady saw me on This Morning and emailed in, I cant lie I did cry a tear....emails like this make all the hard work worthwhile, she said;

"Just wanted to say thank you for appearing on This Morning today. I have a two children and my partner is away from home most of the time. I don't know any other military families and never sure if what I'm going through is right. You've made me feel normal again I guess you could say. No one else in my family understands why I feel like I need him here and that I should be used to it by now. But your appearance and what you said was spot on"

We are all in this together and if sharing how I feel gives others strength then all the hours volunteering to create and sustain the charity are valuable. It isn't easy and there are unique challenges being an Army family; for soldiers, spouses and Little Troopers.

Together we are Stronger

Here is a link to the This Morning piece which I hope raises awareness of how Little Troopers think, feel and how vital our support is to them; Watch This Morning clip here
 
I was also given a surprise live on the show which was amazing and deserves another blogpost!

As always I TRULY am so thankful for all the support and hope in 2015 with the media coverage recently people see this charity as a worthy cause and enable it to grow and continue.

Louise xxxxx 

No comments:

Post a Comment